Amsterdam, Skinny Bridge (Magere Brug)


Canal tour
Skinny Bridge (Magere Brug)

bridge over the river Amstel in the city centre of Amsterdam. It connects the banks of the river at Kerkstraat (Church Street), between Keizersgracht (Emperors' Canal) and Prinsengracht (Princes' Canal).

The central section of the Magere Brug is a bascule bridge made of white-painted wood. The present bridge was built in 1934. The first bridge at this site was built in 1691 as Kerkstraatbrug and had 13 arches. Because this bridge was very narrow, the locals called it magere brug, which literally means "skinny bridge". In 1871 the state of the bridge was so bad that it was demolished and replaced by a nine-arched wooden bridge. Fifty years later this bridge also needed to be replaced. Architect Piet Kramer made several designs for a steel and stone bridge, but the city decided to replace it with a new bridge that looked the same as the previous, only slightly bigger. In 1934 the bridge was demolished and replaced by a redesign made by Piet Kramer. The last major renovation was in 1969. Until 1994 the bridge was opened by hand, but now is opened automatically.

Photo 160


Canal tour
Skinny Bridge (Magere Brug)

Photo 161


Canal tour
Skinny Bridge (Magere Brug)

Photo 163


Other Photos

Aircraft
Animals
Boats

Bridges
Buildings
Lighthouses

Monuments
Rail
Public Home